Tuesday, October 5, 2010

PINK with PURPOSE!

Ok, so this post is going to be about PINK with PURPOSE ~ Breast Cancer Awarenss, education, prevention & hope !!!

(a lil off my normal path)
I am going to put this out there because well my family needs prayer & I am going to ask for it ! I am going to put my emotional struggle out there for you & the world to see, a rareity for me.

I am walking in the Phoenix Susan G Komen "Race for The Cure" 5K walk this Sunday 10/10/10. If you feel led please support me by follwing the link below:

http://www.komenphoenix.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=421127&lis=1&kntae421127=A69E3DCE44E04869B22CA742F898B188&supId=304497795




I grew up with the illusion my Mom would be here on earth til I was old & gray myself since she had me at 19.

The reality that may not be so began in my teens when she got Bells Palsy , paralyzation of the face. Then a flu shot triggered a reaction in her nervous system which put her in the NeuroICU at UCI when I was in my early twenties. Then in June 2007 we almost lost her unexpectedly. Now this woman I call Mom has breast cancer. She has not been given the greatest "lot in life" as the old adage goes.

At this point I am honestly screaming at God. I have struggled seeing my mom ill every time. Certain images of her ill during each hospital stay still wake me at nite, certain tests I observed & watched her fail never fade from memory, I know verbatem each call from her that said she needed me , her only daughter , her only child, that consequently ended up with me in a vehicle wether 10 mins away or crossing state lines, to take her to seek medical care.

The last few years have been a struggle for her & I. My mother is a force to be reckoned with & especially when her title is "patient". UGH, really she is the WORST patient I have EVER seen !!! She seems to think the doctors ORDERS are RECOMMENDATIONS :/ This resistance of hers led me to reach my maximum capacity for frustration & agitation approx eight-teen months ago . I decided that as her primary enabler that , hey, if she doesn't care , nor do I ! Sadly of course I still fret & worry but I keep it to myself (as much as possible) and let her decide without my intrusion how to care for herself.

That leads me to her role as Nana. I think my sons have hit the jackpot having my mom as a Nana. Seriously if I believed in re-incarnation I would want to come back as her grandchild or dog. She lavishes them with love & over indulgence. I look at my boys, her grandsons & I think of the laughter she brings to them, how on a bad day I know Nana is the right remedy. Now I need to figure out how to tell my boys she has the Big C & I dont know how :*(

I dont want to go into too much detail, but lets just say her current treatment is at a cross roads. We need prayer because as much as we argue , at the end of the day, my boys & I , we need my mom & we need her for a lot longer. My mom has lost too many friends to the "Big C" and as much as she is a fighter, she has seen this disease at its worst & that changes the terms of treatment for her drastically. So pray that she has Dr's with wisdom & that the battle is in her favor. Thank you !!!

Go do your monthly exams Mammas, your babies (of all ages) are counting on it,
Jen

3 comments:

  1. http://www.komenphoenix.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=421127&lis=1&kntae421127=A69E3DCE44E04869B22CA742F898B188&supId=304497795

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers go to your mom & the rest of the family <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen, my heart breaks for you as I can't imagine my mom going through this, having to talk to my kids, etc...know that your family is in our prayers and if you need anything, please let me know...Thank you for sharing your heart! God has given you strength, but thank you for not trying to go at this alone!

    ReplyDelete